The Story Behind the Book. It’s another book I wasn’t planning to write…
Each year, I work with twenty-thirty students who must authentically deliver a Shakespearean monologue for a Drama School or Professional Audition. Each year, I explain the same things and I wished there was a simple guide to fill in the student’s knowledge to make the most of their actual coaching time with me.
I was lucky, I grew up visiting Stratford upon Avon, watching great Shakespeare being performed all the time by the Royal Shakespeare Company. But I was rubbish at English at school, so I wasn’t exactly on the pathway to have anything to do with the Bard of Avon in my career.
Yet, I kept coming into contact with Shakespeare, getting more and more fascinated about his remarkable work, as a director and a teacher. Then I started to really force myself to learn as much as I could, watching and reading as much as I could, whilst teaching him to undergraduates and directing actors performing his work. Eventually, the eBook Approaching Shakespeare was born!
So why get your hands on Approaching Shakespeare?
- GET IT ALL IN ONE BOOK: There’s lots to know about preparing a monologue and unless you’re willing to read a few dozen books, you’ll benefit from a single guide that helps you.
- LEARN THE PROCESS: Preparing to work on a Shakespeare monologue is involving hard work, but if you learn my simple process, it will become a more intuitive process, as you conquer his monologues and really get to grips with Shakespeare.
- APPLY TO ANY SHAKESPEARE MONOLOGUE: When you learn my simple approach, you’ll feel confident approaching ANY Shakespeare monologue.
- STEP BY STEP: This book presumes NO/ZERO knowledge of preparing a Shakespeare monologue, so you get a comprehensive, from scratch starting point for complete beginners and more advanced students and actors can reinforce their past experience.
- PRACTICE MONOLOGUES: There’s TWO practice monologues, one male and one female, which means you can build your confidence working with fully explained and practiced monologues, before picking your own, or just using the ones we’ve practiced together.
- BENEFIT: Why don’t you benefit from my years of experience? Not everyone can come to my studio for private tuition, so if you live too far away to train with me personally, this is the next best thing!
- CONTACT: Once you’ve bought the book, you can email me directly at a special email address found in the book and ask me further questions, and yes, I will reply!